My current book project, Freedom Now: Inventing Civil Disobedience in Twentieth-Century America, looks at the genealogy of civil disobedience and the politics of nonviolence in the civil rights and antiwar movements. Below are a selection of related working papers and recent talks. Some papers can be made available upon request.
- "John Dewey's Experiments in Democratic Socialism," co-authored with Ed Quish, now up over at Jacobin Magazine.
- My latest article, "Fidelity to Truth: Gandhi and the Genealogy of Civil Disobedience," is now out in Political Theory.
- Recent reviews of Damn Great Empires! at Contemporary Political Theory, Theory & Event, Perspectives on Politics, Political Theory, Review of Politics, and Reading Religion.
Recent and Upcoming Talks
- "Power for the Powerless: Martin Luther King's Late Theory of Civil Disobedience," Judith Reppy Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies. Cornell University, April 2018
- Pragmatism Working Group, Center for Cultural Analysis. Rutgers University, Oct 2017
- "Beyond Birmingham: King, Disobedience, and the Powers of Non-Violence" Political Theory Colloquium, Department of Politics. University of Virginia, September 2017
- "Gandhi and the Genealogy of Civil Disobedience," Philosophy and Social Science. Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, May 2017
- "Gandhi and the Genealogy of Civil Disobedience," Riot, Refusal, Refuge. Pembroke Center for Teaching and Research on Women. Brown University. April 2017
- "Two Cheers for Populism," Department of Classics. Cornell University. October 2016
- "Reconstructing Civil Disobedience: Pragmatism and Making Problems Public," Transformations of Civil Disobedience. Barnard College, Columbia University. May 2016
- "The Cost of Liberty: Du Bois's John Brown," Imagining Violence: The Politics of Narrative and Representation. ECPR Joint Sessions Workshop. Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa, April 2016
- "Means, Ends, and the Politics of Coercion," Towards an Ecological Society: The Tenth Annual Alfred North Whitehead Conference. Pomona College, June 2015